Wednesday, November 3, 2010

(Mostly) Horror Reviews!

Halloween has come and past once again, and if any of you know me, you know October is probably the biggest month for movies for me.  Now, I'm well aware that a few of these aren't Halloween movies but here's what I watched...








  
House of 1000 Corpses(2003) - 7/10 stars.
This movie is actually surprisingly good.  There are a lot of things that any classic horror fans will appreciate.  Sure, it's a little uneven and the characters are annoying at times but I thought it was creepy and disturbing enough to be very entertaining for it's entire duration.









The Devil's Rejects(2005) - 8/10 stars.
TDR is a rare occasion in which the sequel is better than the original.  Though they are two separate entities and can be viewed in any order, this is the better film.  It is probably the most disturbing modern film that I can think of and is pretty much an exploitation flick.  So, if you like classic exploitation cinema from the 70's and 80's, this movie is for you.  










Buried(2010) - 10/10 stars.
  No film this year has had the effect on me that Buried did.  It is intense, claustrophobic depressing and will keep your eyes glued to the screen until you finally get to breathe at the ending credits.  Oh, did I mention that all of this happens in one coffin?  Yeah, Hitchcock would be proud.









The Brood(1979) - 8/10 stars.
Cronenberg's The Brood is very difficult film to review.  As I was watching it, I had decided I hated it and would never watch it again.  However, this little film had me thinking a lot once it was over.  The ending scene is extremely creepy in an almost somber way.  I recommend seeing it and giving it a chance at 2 or 3 views.








Dark Night of the Scarecrow(1981) - 7/10 stars.
One damn good TV movie with a lot going for it.  It has all the essential story points to make it work.  The best thing about this film is how it doesn't end with a cop out.  I won't tell you anymore, you'll just have to see it.        







Dead of Night(1945) - 10/10 stars.
Sadly, this little gem has mostly gone unnoticed in the current day and age.  I challenge anyone who says older movies are boring or unexciting to watch this one and tell me you still feel that way.  It's one of the best anthology films ever made and still holds up today.  Watch it now.







 Deadgirl(2008) - 6/10 stars.
I'm not exactly sure what I think about this movie.  I didn't like it or really enjoy it but I don't think I was supposed to so I guess it gains points for that.  At any rate, the way it pulled off the horror aspect while being subtle and somber was mostly good.  See it or don't, I guess you'll have to decide for yourself.









Donnie Darko(2001) - 9/10 stars.
Donnie Darko is a movie I wish I didn't like simply because every annoying teenager out there won't shut up about it.  But alas, I do like it and I like it a lot.  The story itself would be enough to write home about but the way it's told and shot makes it that much better.  It's a treat for film fans and filmmakers alike. 










The Brother's Grimm(2005) - 4/10 stars.
The original Grimm fairy tales are some of the most disturbing and depressing stories you will ever read.  However, this movie does nothing to show that side of things.  It is mostly lighthearted and almost comical at times.  There was so much potential with this film but it never reaches it.









Halloween(1978) 10/10 stars.
 Without question, the greatest slasher movie of all time and one of the greatest horror movies of all time.  John Carpenter did so much with a budget that was so little.  Everything about this flick creeps me out and probably will continue to do so when I watch it every Halloween.









Halloweentown Series(1998-2006)
These films, at least the first two, are very nostalgic for me.  They were the things to watch on Halloween when I was a kid.  However, rewatching them, I realized there is still plenty to love for adults too.  They're funny, exciting and actually written well.  I will, however, say that I didn't like the final installment.  Here's how I would rate them individually...

Halloweentown(1998) - 8/10 stars.
Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge(2001) - 8/10 stars
Halloweentown High(2004) - 7/10 stars.
Return to Halloweentown(2006) - 2/10 stars.






The Haunting(1999) - 2/10 stars.
This flick is great...if you're looking at it as a comedy.  I honestly can't believe it was allowed to be made.  The original film was atmospheric, dark and all around scary.  This remake is a failed attempt at updating the classic with overuse of CGI and bad horror cliches.  Watch it for a laugh, but not much else.









The Last Broadcast(1998) - 8/10 stars.
What we basically have here is The Blair Witch Project before there ever was a Blair Witch Project.  It's shot in first person cam with several interviews throughout.  The film itself is very subtle in its delivery and will give you a surprise in the end.  I recommend it to all horror fans.  I was pleasantly surprised myself.









Knowing(2009) - 8/10 stars.
After several bad reviews and the ever looming fact that it stars Nicolas Cage, I thought I would hate Knowing.  Call it my love for anything with aliens or the fact that it was just simply bizzare but I really enjoyed this movie.  Oh, and Nicolas Cage is still annoying as hell.









Open Water(2003) - 7/10 stars.
Open Water is a very inspirational film for me as a young, independent filmmaker considering it was made for extremely little money.  It's not the best film out there but I do like how the scares aren't in your face or "Hollywood."  It makes you feel like you're in the water with this couple just waiting to be devoured by whatever creatures come your way.











Saw 3D(2010) - 1/10 stars.
The Saw series has reached it's low point.  Not that I liked any of the films after the first one so I guess that's kind of saying a lot.  The script is irresponsibly written at best, the acting is miserable to the point of being comedic and the blood is so over the top that The Happy Tree Friends series comes to mind.  Don't waste a dome on this one, in fact, don't even see it for free.  Your time is worth more than this movie.








Something Wicked This Way Comes(1983) - 10/10 stars.
This is a must watch for me every Halloween.  It's based off of one my favorite books so it has become one of my favorite movies.  The story is so imaginative and dark and the performances from the cast really make it come to life.  Also, it's a Disney movie, so even though it's a little dark, it's still good for the whole family.






Spawn(1997) - 2/10 stars.
I saw Spawn for the first time when I was about 10 years old and thought it was a thrilling action movie.  Therefore, I decided to revisit it this week.  Sadly, the result was that I wished I hadn't decided to.  Like most films of its nature, it simply focuses too much on the special effects and not enough on the plot.  What am I saying?  There was no plot to focus on!






Fire in the Sky(1993) - 9/10 stars.
I find it sad that this film received such negative critical reception and that it has mostly been forgotten.  It's one of the most horrifying tales about aliens I've ever seen on screen and... It's supposedly true!  AHHHHHH!  But seriously, the end of this movie has one of the most terrifying scenes I remember seeing.  Give it a shot.









Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow(1949) - 10/10 stars.
Another Halloween favorite of mine.  I've always loved the original story by Washington Irving but this short film adds Disney's spin on it.  What you get is a funny, scary musical!  I know, it sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it?


 
2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams(2010) - 1/10 stars.
Ah yes, I've saved the worst for last.  I don't even feel like this deserves a review at all.  Just don't see it, it sucks.  That's all you need to know.       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment